Saturday, July 22, 2017

RICARDO ON A BIKE

Many years ago, in the mid-nineties, my friend Ricardo and I were invited to a party by a beautiful British couple. They lived just a few blocks away from my house. We decided to go together, and Ricardo, who lived in the same district but some twenty blocks away, came riding his bike. He left it in my house and we walked to the party.

Bob, the host was a nice fellow and he had invited many people I knew. His wife Hillary was a nice hostess and we had a great time. It was summer and the weather was pleasant, so we stayed till very late.

Ricardo had gone upstairs to the terrace. There they could smoke. I saw him come down to the kitchen and his face lit up when he grabbed a bottle of Vodka. I enjoyed the reunion, and as people started to leave I saw Ricardo come down into the kitchen. We said good/bye and headed for my house.

Ricardo was heavily drunk and he swayed and staggered as he walked. I suggested that he sleep in the guest room since I felt he could not ride home. Alas, he insisted in riding his bike. We finally arrived home and he rode off.

I had drunk a little, but was sober enough to be scared for him riding home so drunk. It was the early morning and all I could do was go to sleep and wait. I had never seen anyone make S movements on the sidewalk before. I slept off. When I woke up, the first thing I remembered was Ricardo on his bike.

I called his home and his mother answered. I asked if he was there and she told me he was sleeping. I felt so relieved I could cry.

Some days later, we met and he told me about his ride. He had fallen asleep on his bike. Goodness knows how he got home, but he had no recollection. Some of his friends who were sitting in an outdoor table in a restaurant on the way saw him go by fast asleep at the wheel.

Ricardo always made Lopong Tsechu laugh. They were close and he had given him many blessings. Only a great Protection made him come out of this one alive!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment